Monday, August 24, 2009

My Personal Literary History





Handle with Care by Jodi Picoult

I actually read this book a month ago, borrowing it from the Library's Bestsellers section. I had read Jodi Picoult's books before, and they have been great. This one, however, was exceptional. It questioned my beliefs on the value of life, and the lengths one family would go to protect their loved ones. After reading Handle with Care, I was left with a feeling of shock, awe, and bitterness. Most of Picoult's books are from different characters' perspectives. The switching viewpoint allowed the many unique voices to be heard, as well as the argument for each side; there was no "right" answer, although in the end, Picoult manages to satisfy almost all issues. One of her characters involve a sister of the an ill girl. consequently, her parents attention shifts to their younger daughter because of her illness, and she cannot but feel bitterness. Although I do not have an sibling diagnosed with Osteogensis imperfecta, I can relate to the feeling of inequality in the amount of attention I get. I think most siblings can connect with this feeling, and Jodi Picoult does just that: drawing real-life emotions into her characters.



Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Lavine

This book was one of the first "big books" I read. I was in third grade at that time, and I was so caught up in the plot that I begged my mother to let me stay up later than my bedtime to finish the bedtime. I ended up reading until two hours after my bedroom, but my parents, seeing this as a big change and improvement, allowed me. I saw the book in a school bookfair and seeing stacks of Ella Enchanted. Usually, books in a schools bookfairs are worth reading, and since there were so many stacks, I knew that this book must have been pretty good. Also, at that time, the movie version of Ella Enchanted was released, and I wanted to read the book before I saw the movie. I also remember that at that time, I, like many other girls around my age, was interested in fairytales and happy-endings. Ella Enchanted was exactly that, except with a wonderful twist.




Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli



I read this book when I was in 5th grade, I think. But I remember this book as one of the first books that made my cry. I don't think it was supposed to be a especially sad story, but the simplicity of their actions impacted me. I remember thinking that the main character did not deserve to the "stargirl" another main character in the story. It was a short and sweet book, but the simple kindness the girl exhibits is one that I can never forget. One part of the story that I remember is that the boy collected porcupine neckties. I can relate this to my grandfather, who collects horse neckties because he was born in the horse year. At the end of the book, Stargirl sends him a porcupine necktie in the mail because it was his birthday. This is the point where my eyes started tearing up. What was it with this scene that was so special? I do not know myself. But I did learn the power of human forgiveness.






--

To be honest, I was at first a bit apprehensive about this course because last year, in my other school, I had took the course with the same kind of content: world literature. I was worried if I took the same course again, but I learned the materials we would be using in class, and they proved to be different from the books I had read last year. I am really surprised that we are using blogs for our portfolios, and I hope that this would turn out well. However, I am not sure how I am supposed to approach this blog: is it for the teacher to look at my progress, or can I write whatever I feel (that is necessary and relevant to my progress)? At this point, I really don’t know how to ‘adopt’ my voice because there are so many. Well, I know there I have a voice, but that is for essays and random stories, but what about a blog? I have kept a blog before, but that was solely personal reasons and not an English Portfolio. I hope that I have a solid voice by the end of this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment